We solve problems.
Denver’s Litigation & Appeal Experts
We know not all disputes should become lawsuits and not all lawsuits belong in court. We seek alternatives to resolve disputes in acceptable and cost-effective ways. Most recently we have:
- Successfully navigated government regulations that threatened to shut down a company’s nationwide operations.
- Advised an investor group in an emerging industry that faced uncertainty and conflicting regulations.
- Earned the praise and respect of a negotiating adversary in a dispute over company control.
We are also go-to-court lawyers. A lawsuit cannot always be avoided; it is often necessary or inevitable. We’ve successfully represented clients in some of the most noteworthy cases in Colorado, sometimes going from a government decision to a trial in just days. We go deep, generate options, and overcome obstacles.
Recent results include:
- Wining an open records case against the Colorado Health Exchange in which we recovered our client’s attorney’s fees.
- Helping a woman who had been homeless get a new start by creating a new Colorado law that encouraged a favorable settlement.
A successful appeal requires distilling a comprehensive knowledge of the facts and law into a focused narrative that is attentive to subtlety and detail within a broad, existing legal—and sometimes political or public—context. More than once, we’ve successfully litigated public policy litigation to the Colorado Supreme Court and back in just days.
Other results that our attorneys have obtained on appeal include:
- A unanimous Colorado Supreme Court opinion that rejected an attempt to expand political speech that could be subject to onerous and potentially speech-stifling campaign finance laws.
- Obtained and sustained a trial court’s reversal of an arbitration award on grounds that it violated public policy.
Reversed the confirmation of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan because no fact in an over yearlong records search supported the court’s decision.
Government Advocacy & Political Law
We understand government decision-making—and we know how to influence it and successfully challenge regulations. Our partners include a former Colorado Secretary of State and a former Deputy Attorney General. We advise and counsel advocates in every aspect of the political process. Campaigns, committees, political parties, businesses, and tax-exempt organizations all turn to us for advice and guidance.
Our advice considers all aspects that impact government action:
- Policy formation
- Regulatory enforcement
- Administrative law
- Legislative relations
We understand the functions of government agencies and how and why they approach issues a certain way. Often we can identify solutions that others overlook by leveraging our understanding of government law, agency processes, and political dynamics.
We assist clients in these areas:
- Policy Formation. Short of formal rule making, we work with agencies to provide persuasive guidance in implementing laws, regulations, and policy.
- Regulatory Action. We help shape the adoption and content of proposed rules and regulations.
- Enforcement Actions. We communicate informally with agencies to prevent unnecessary enforcement actions and defend such actions when they occur.
- Legislation. We work with clients’ lobbyists (or help them hire lobbyists) on legislative strategy.
- Public Relations. We assist and integrate our work with our clients’ public relations strategy to properly frame and pursue their goals.
Public Interest Law and Election Law
We advise and counsel advocates in every aspect of the political process, from compliance to litigation. Our practice includes high-profile election law cases, ballot issues, campaign finance, ballot access, redistricting, Voting Rights Act, Open Records, and election administration.
Public Interest Law:
- Constitutional and Regulatory Challenges. When laws, regulations, policies or implementation of such violate the United States and/or Colorado Constitutions, we challenge these efforts with fervor.
- Open Records and Open Meetings Litigation. We enforce and help clients use laws that keep government transparent and accountable.
- Candidates. We help them with ballot access, required filings, navigating campaign finance regulations, reviewing advertisements and defending their interests in court.
- Issue Committees. We help them write ballot measures, obtain titles from the Title Board, satisfy signature requirements and defend any challenges by opponents.
- Electoral Challenges. We litigate election matters such as recounts, ballot access issues, and initiatives.
- Redistricting and Reapportionment. We represent parties seeking to influence the decennial redistricting and reapportionment processes.
- Voting Rights Act Litigation
- Campaign Finance Compliance. In this highly complex area, we have represented candidates and committees, non-profit organizations, and individuals at federal, state, and local levels. We quickly identify issues and help clients develop and navigate strategies to structure operations.
- Tax-Exempt Organizations. We help with entity formation and tax compliance, and laws affecting non-profits, such as charitable solicitation, campaign finance, regulations, government contracting, and other areas.
Outside Corporate Counsel
Every company faces a complex array of legal issues ranging from government regulation to contract management and employment. We are trusted advisors to companies without in-house counsel that need sophisticated advice to help their business thrive.
As General Counsel, we assist our clients with:
- New venture formation and growth
- Business operations
- Strategic planning
- Contract drafting and review
- Dispute resolution
- Commercial and real estate transactions
- Regulatory compliance
- Review and oversight of outside legal services